Basmati rice - 2 cups
Chicken pieces - 3/4 kg.
Milk - 1/2 cup
Yogurt (curd) - 1 cup
Thinly sliced onion - 3
Ginger paste - 1 tsp.
Garlic paste - 1/2 tsp.
Green chilli paste - 1 tsp.
Tomato puree - 1/2 cup
Red chilli powder - 2 tsp.
Turmeric powder - 1 tsp.
Cumin powder (Roasted) - 1 tsp.
Garam Masala Powder - 2 tsp.
Green cardamom powder - 1/2 tsp.
Saffron - a pinch
Coriander powder - 1 tsp.
Green coriander leaves - 2 tbsp.
Salt to taste
- Mix tomato puree, yogurt, ginger garlic paste, green chilli paste, red chilli powder, turmeric powder, roasted cumin powder, garam masala, coriander powder and salt. Stir well.
- Marinate the chicken with this mixture and keep aside for 3-4 hours.
- Heat oil in a pan. Fry the onions until golden brown.
- Add the marinated chicken and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add 4 cups of water to the rice. Mix saffron in milk and add to it. Add cardamom powder.
- Add the chicken pieces. Pressure cook the rice.
- Mix gently. Garnish with green coriander leaves and serve hot.