Yellow lentil (tuar dal) - 1 cup
Tamarind water - 1/2 cup
Tomato puree - 1 cup
Ginger-garlic paste - 1/2 tsp.
Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp.
Cumin seeds - 1 tsp.
Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp.
Black pepper powder - 1/4 tsp.
Red chilli powder - 1/2 tsp.
Curry Leaves (chopped) - 3 tbsp.
Vegetable oil - 2 tbsp.
Salt to taste
- Put the lentils in a pressure pan with turmeric and 3-1/2 cups of water. You can pressure cook it or bring it boil and let it cook over medium heat until tender (about half an hour). Keep aside
- Heat oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds and cumin seeds and let it splutter.
- Add red chilli powder, pepper powder, salt, tomto puree, ginger-garlic paste and cook for 4 minutes.
- Add tamarind water and 2 tbsp. kadi patta. Stir well. Bring it boil, reduce the heat and cook for 2 minutes.
- Blend the lentils in electric blender. Add it to the above puree. Also add 2-3 cups water and bring it to boil.
- Serve hot. Garnish with Curry leaves (kadi patta).