- Black grams 1 cup
- Bengal grams 1/2 cup
- Kidney beans 1/4 cup
- Ginger 1 inch
- Green chilli 2-3
- Butter 4 tbsp.
- Cream 2 tbsp.
- Finely chopped tomatoes 3
- Finely chopped onions 2
- Garlic 7-8 pieces
- Cumin seeds 1 tsp.
- Asafoetida 1 pinch
- Red chilli powder 2 tsp.
- Salt to taste
- Thoroughly wash black grams, bengal grams and kidney beans. Then soak it in water (2 glasses) for about 7-8 hours .
- Add ginger and garlic to the above. Pressure cook for about 10 minutes (3-4 whistles). Then reduce the heat to 'medium' and cook for about 15 minutes. Remove ginger-garlic from the cooked grams and make a paste.
- Heat 2 tbsp. of butter in a pan.
- Fry asafoetida and cumin seeds in it. Add thinly sliced green chilli. Heat till it gets slight brown in color.
- Add ginger-garlic paste and finely chopped onions. Fry until golden brown.
- Add chilli powder, finely chopped tomatoes and salt. Cook until the mixture thickens into pulpy sauce (about 3 mins).
- Then add cooked grams and kidney beans to the mixture. Heat for 4-5 minutes. You can add a little water if you find it too thick.
- Add the remaining butter and cook for 2 minutes.
Dal Makhni is ready to serve. Decorate with cream.