- Basmati rice 2 cups
- Lemon juice 5 tbsp.
- Mustard Seeds 2 tsp.
- Urad Daal 2 tsp.
- Chana Daal 2 tsp.
- Dried Red chillies 2-3
- Turmeric Powder 1/2 tsp.
- A pinch of asafoetida
- Roasted Peanuts 1/2 cup
- Curry leaves 10-12
- Grated coconut 1 tbsp.
- Salt to taste
- Vegetable oil 2 tbsp.
- Wash rice well before cooking.Then take rice with 3-3/4 cup water and add a little salt to it. Cook it in pressure cooker (wait for 1-2 whistles and then switch off the gas). You can also cook it in a pan or do microwave cooking just the same way as you cook ordinary rice.Once the rice is cooked, keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a deep frying pan or a kadai.
- Add asafoetida, dried red chillies cut into two, urad dal and chana dal.
- Cook until dals change colour to light brown.
- Add peanuts and mustard seeds. When the mustard seeds start to crackle, then add curry leaves. Fry for 10 seconds more.
- Next add turmeric powder and stir well.
- Add cooked rice, salt and lemon juice. Mix well very gently so that the rice grains does not break.
Garnish with grated coconut and serve hot.