For Cheese Dumplings:
Milk - 1/2 litre
Refined flour (maida) - 1 tsp
Citric acid dissolved in water or lemon juice - 1/4 tsp dissolved in 1/2 cup water or lemon juice 2-3 tbsp.
Sugar - 1 cup
Water - 1 cup
Rose essence or cardamom powder - 2-3 drops or 1/4 tsp
For Cream Sauce:
Milk - 3/4 litre
Sugar - 5 tbsp
Sliced Almonds and Pistachios for decoration
- Heat milk in a pan and bring it to boil. Remove from heat.
- Add citric acid or lemon juice.
- Stir slowly and gently until white curd forms on the surface and separates from whey.
- On straining this milk, the curd that is obtained is called "chenna". Wash chenna well under cold running water and twist the cloth that was used for straining to extract water.
- Knead chenna to make a smooth dough. Add flour and knead again.
- Make small balls of equal size (6-7) of the dough and keep aside.
- Next make sugar syrup. Mix sugar and water in a saucepan and bring it to boil.
- Add chenna balls to the syrup and cook for 15 minutes with lid partially covered.
- Chenna(cheese) dumplings will puff up.
- On cooling, add rose essence.Keep the cheese dumplings aside.
- Boil milk in a heavy base saucepan.
- Bring one boil and then reduce the heat to medium. Cook until it becomes thick and creamy(almost half). Stir occasionally to prevent its sticking to the bottom of the pan.
- Add sugar and cook for 5 minutes.Switch off the heat.
- Let the sauce cool. On cooling, add the cheese dumplings(squeese the syrup).
- Decorate with the sliced dry fruits. Refrigerate and serve chilled.